Friday, May 23, 2014

In Defense Of "Batfleck"

(0:36-end mark from the theme from the final season of American Gladiators original run play the camera moves back to see James on top of the slab with the words “The Last Of The Americans” on it then the camera zooms to the backside of the slab with the word editorial on it)

(Scene changes to James Faraci, The Last Of The Americans fiddling around with a sonic screwdriver to see if he can put the color back into the world and five seconds later, The color is back)

Oh hey, it worked. The color is back(looks at watch) and just in time!  I’m James Faraci, The Last Of The Americans and the views I’m about to express are that of my own & some of yours and welcome to a new editorial segment entitled "In Defense Of..." (Show pics of maligned pieces of pop culture while the fanfare from the Olympics  play and James comes up after Vanilla Ice slides back and his right hand thumbs up and the words "In Defense Of..."  appear to the left of James. Then cuts back to James physically.)This is where I will take a look something that everyone for one reason either in the past or present dislike and see if I can change your opinions on it. If you think I'm wrong comment below. If you think I'm on to something and think I should give a second look at something, like I said comment below. With that said, let's talk about "Superman: The Man Of Steel" (Show clips of "Man Of Steel" and James does a voice over)

TLOTA (Voice over): While yes I can not convince people why I like this movie. I can say that there is good reason why I like this movie. Unlike "Superman Returns" this did restart the Superman movie franchise and apparently is a tie in to a bigger project, A movie about The Justice League which I am looking forward to. (Cut to James Physically) Also I am looking forward to the lead in TO the Justice League movie "Superman v Batman: Dawn Of Justice." But everyone & I mean EVERYONE has one big thing against this and the Justice League movie Ben Affleck as the Dark Knight. (Show Pics of Ben Affleck and clips of different movies mentioned by James while he does a voice over.) However I DON'T dislike Affleck. He's one of the few actors I can tolerate and I did like his turns as both in the title role of Daredevil & George Reeves in "Hollywoodland" and with the exception of "Jersey Girl" all his work with Kevin Smith is fantastic even in something like Michael Bay's "Armageddon" which is the ONLY movie from Michael Bay I can tolerate Ben Affleck does a very good job. So why does everybody think he'll suck as Batman? Is it because of his work as "Daredevil", if that's the case I think you're building a case on quicksand because if you've seen the theatrical cut only then you've only seen only half the film. The director's cut fills in a good portion of the plot holes from the theatrical cut. Then there's the fact he was in probably one of if not THE worst movie of the Millennium "Gigli" but I think the fact he's been able to move past that to direct some really good movies like "ARGO" & show that "Gigli" will not be the Alpha & Omega in terms of acting besides I've seen WORSE movies with Ben Affleck than "Gigli". But if your argument is that Batman has been played by a great actor and now he's going to suck because Ben Affleck, Well I'm going to say that I think there has never been a bad performance of Batman....EVER! Because Batman is an amorphous role the actors chosen to play the Dark Knight have done a fairly awesome job portraying the character their own way. I don't judge Adam West for not being as intense as say Michael Keaton. Adam West was a smooth and charismatic Bruce Wayne and as Batman he was competent in his abilities but never overplayed the character acting wise. Michael Keaton brought the brooding aspects of being Batman to the screen amazingly and as Bruce Wayne you could tell he was so ordinary you wouldn't believe Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne was actually Batman. Val Kilmer on the other hand showed that Bruce Wayne was psychologically scarred from the fight knowing his ally Harvey Dent was now a monster and that he blamed himself for not only that but also knowing that Dick Grayson was in the same place he was when he started out and Bruce blamed himself for Dick Grayson's family's death. Kilmer's Bruce Wayne carried the weight of being Batman on his shoulders knowing if he is to ever have balance one part of Bruce's life has to take precedence and that's why Val Kilmer's Bruce Wayne was amazing. His Batman suffered severely because of it. Bruce wanted to reject this creation because as far as Bruce was concerned it was the bane of his existence but by that same token he simply couldn't just let him go. It had to take Nicole Kidman's character saying I love Bruce Wayne to basically put the Batman to bed for good which is a LOAD! But in comparison to George Clooney you couldn't tell on that dopey grin of his but behind it George Clooney's Bruce Wayne showed a man at peace but knows he can't use that as an excuse to stop fighting, it's where his Batman he needed better direction. First off instead of having Batman & Robin being publicly at the auction, let them be there in the corner with him ready for action. As for his hardheadedness towards Robin, Batman could've shown more of the effects of not listening to what he's saying by showing the scars he had and if there is continuity between the Burton & Schumacher movies surely he has had scars from when he crashed the Batjet or say when Catwoman found the right point to pierce Batman's armor about how his carelessness can cause problems for others and falling for the bad guy can be hazardous. But that never happened. If there was more care in making Batman likable in a way where he wasn't a douche to Robin or an egocentric idiot than Batman & Robin may have been a better Batman film. But Christian Bale though doing a great job given the material didn't balance the characters of Bruce Wayne & Batman's duality well enough in the first Christopher Nolan "Batman" movie. Thankfully in "The Dark Knight" he was working on it better but sadly never came to fruition in "The Dark Knight Rises".  I hope Ben can do that better than Christian Bale.(Cut to James Physically) I know I almost forgot the voice actor of Batman himself Kevin Conroy who played all the aspects well but I wanted to focus on the live action actors who played The Dark Knight. I hope I did a good job to give good reason why people should give Ben Affleck a break being Batman. If you think I didn't I welcome your comments. If you want me to defend something YOU think has been maligned in pop culture that deserves a second chance again Comment. Next time will be my one year anniversary review, it should be awesome. I'm James Faraci The Last Of The Americans and That's my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment