Saturday, July 20, 2013

Are The Muppets still relevant?

(Commercial Sting with of the American Gladiators first run's final season's ten seconds theme with James Standing next to Army Text saying The Last Of The Americans. Then a rubber stamp stamps over the entire thing the word Editorial)

I'm James Faraci, The Last Of The Americans and the views I'm about to express are that of my own and some of yours. Now, I'm going to come out of character a little bit to reveal that I am an uncle of Three Nieces as of this blog Twin ten year olds and their baby sister who is seven months old as of this blog. I was over where they live one day and I brought over a movie starring The Muppets and while my intentions were good, my nieces weren't interested namely because the baby probably wouldn't have been able to process it and her older sisters thought The Muppets were lame which made me feel as if I had failed as an uncle and had me asking several questions. One) Did I miss the boat in showing my Twin nieces what the Muppets were all about? Two) Would their baby sister share the same fate? But for me the big one was "Are The Muppets still relevant?" and before anyone asks NO I do not think of the gang from Sesame Street as part of the Muppets continuity Sesame Street and The Muppets went their separate ways a long time ago continuity wise, but if I were to have an answer to that question before the 2011 Muppets movie I'd probably lean a little more on the no side and remind myself that The Muppets were a part of my childhood my nieces probably would never get to enjoy. Since the 2011 Muppets movie I think people want to lean more to the yes side but even before then I did and still wanted to lean towards the yes side and I do lean towards the yes side but it was more than just simply wanting to share The Muppets with the next generation it was to make sure people from my generation didn't forget either so they can pass it down to the next generation and the next generation can pass it down to their next generation and so on and so on. But why do I lean more towards the yes side was it because of the 2011 Muppets movie? No. It's because I wanted to share that with my nieces, I wanted to make sure the next generation knew about The Muppets. The first Muppets movie I ever gave them was one of my favorite movies of all time "The Great Muppet Caper" why, because it introduced me to The Muppets as much as watching the reruns of The Muppet Show. But I know why people are more into The Muppets now and it is because of the 2011 Muppets movie and I thought it was Cinematic Perfection any flaws it had didn't bother me and why do I think of it as Cinematic Perfection well it wasn't because of the Nostalgia Factor The Muppets brought to it, that just enhanced the movie what made the movie was the Character arc of Walter. At the beginning he was somewhat of an outcast several feet shorter than his brother Gary played by Jason Segel and Gary's girlfriend Mary played by Amy Adams (Who for the record was awesome as Lois Lane in Superman: The Man Of Steel which by the way was amazing) and it wasn't until Walter watched the Muppets for the first time and it was because of The Muppets that he was able to be himself and it was because of Walter that The Muppets come back together and become a success again and by the end Walter was able to join the Muppets and that's a rare thing for any third party person to join the group they idolize. But if someone were to ask me about the Muppets and their ability to be relevant in a cinematic world filled with 3-D, CGI and characters that are not able to truly touch the monolith that the primates touched in "2001: A Space Odyssey", I'd probably say if done right like they did in the 2011 Muppets movie, yes. Because they should be a part of every generation's childhood that is part of what Jim Henson wanted as his legacy with The Muppets and even though he has no longer been with us in physical form in 23 years his spirit has touched the Muppets and will be with them forever and here's hoping that his spirit will still be with The Muppets for generations to come. I'm James Faraci The Last Of The Americans and here's hoping my opinion in this editorial is not just my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment