Saturday, April 12, 2014

Is "The Passion Of The Christ" a religious experience?

(0:36-end mark from the theme from the final season of American Gladiators original run play the camera moves back to see James on top of the slab with the words “The Last Of The Americans” on it then the camera zooms to the backside of the slab with the word editorial on it)

I'm James Faraci, The Last Of The Americans and the views I'm about to express are that of my own & some of yours. With Easter around the corner I figured I would talk about movies based on the Bible and yes I am aware of the title of the editorial. Movies like "Noah" "Son Of God" "God's not dead" making news everyone has been talking about religion in movies and for me that started ten years ago with the movie "The Passion Of The Christ" (Show scene of the movie's title and clips as James does a voice over.) Co-Written, Produced and directed by the mad Anti-Semitic Mel Gibson before he torpedoed his career. The movie was a description of the last 12 hours and was completely spoken in Aramaic & Latin both were dead tongues  and surprisingly a lot of people were saying that "The Passion Of The Christ" was an amazing experience religiously speaking. (Cut back to James physically) Now I saw this a few years back after it came to DVD and to be honest, I thought it was the best art-house movie I've ever seen something Oancitizen should review. But was I religiously moved? Not really. Religiously speaking I'm a Presbyterian and I do attend church when I can and I don't try to convert people to my religion and I also know the story of how our savior died on the cross for our sins. But when I see a movie like "The Ten Commandments" or say Kevin Smith's religious comedy "Dogma" I understand what the movie makers were going for. With "The Ten Commandments" director Cecil B. DeMille wanted to tell the story of Moses and Charlton Heston was I think perfectly casted for the role of Moses and apparently DeMille liked Heston for his build and I think DeMille was surprised by his acting ability & with "The Passion Of The Christ" Mel Gibson thought he could do something similar. However "The Passion Of The Christ" had it's detractors saying it was blasphemous and it promoted Anti-Semitism. In fact most of the modern biblical movies have had a similar problem, people who think because it's not promoting THEIR religion properly then it should be yanked. But here's the thing for me movies based on tales of the Bible are not trying to promote certain beliefs that are different from others, it's trying to tell tales of epicness from a time long ago it's not that different from a movie based on a tale from medieval times or ancient Egypt. But I think the point is if you think that "The Passion Of The Christ" is a religious experience well good for you. When I go see a movie that wants to be an experience, it has to be epic. "The Passion Of The Christ" for me is The Best Art-House movie I've ever seen. Even though the guy who was behind it became nuttier than a nut goodie! (Show Clip of Mel Gibson on South Park "Passion Of The Jew" acting insane then cut back to James shuttering) That should've been the first clue Mel was bonkers for Banana balls. I'm James Faraci The Last Of The Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment