Saturday, June 21, 2014

Ten things to like about "The Uncanny Valley"

(0:36-end mark from the theme from the final season of American Gladiators original run play the camera moves back to see James on top of the slab with the words “The Last Of The Americans” on it then the camera zooms to the backside of the slab with the word editorial on it)

I'm James Faraci The Last Of The Americans and the views that I'm about to express are that of my own and some of yours. (Show clips of "The Uncanny Valley" while James does a voiceover.)

TLOTA (Voiceover): The Uncanny Valley is the OFFICIAL fifth year anniversary special from Channel Awesome and I'll be the first to admit that the collection of Short Films was an interesting experiment for an anniversary special and I don't think there's going to be a second outing of "The Uncanny Valley" (Cut to James physically.) But I purchased it on DVD and I saw something I did like from all of the shorts and the extras and I plan on counting the ten things I liked about this special. So with that I'm going to talk about the ten things I liked about "The Uncanny Valley" (Show "The Uncanny Valley "title card and the words "Ten Things I liked about..." over it, then cut to James doing a voiceover clips)

TLOTA (Voiceover): Number ten
10) The commentary from "Dragged In"
Honestly, I thought Leo "That Sci-Fi Guy" Thompson would've done his whole commentary apologizing for the lameness but the fact he tried to defend it made me not dislike the short as much but the plot of "Dragged In" was LAME! Aliens wanting our cats because of Internet videos, Seriously? Well he did defend it to the best of his abilities. So Sci-Fi Guy I salute your attempt.

Number nine
9) "Internet Dating & Me"
There's a reason I don't do dating online and Mike J also knows. As this shorts was a mock documentary on the perils of being on a dating site. Mike J's first attempt to be on a dating site leads to some rather incredulous moments like say when he accidentally found one profile to be Diamanda Hagen and when he lands a date well... let's say the results, it's hilarious.


Number eight
8) Nash as The Webmaster & Robert Walker as Thomas

Say what you will about the two sometimes their chemistry is on par with the classic mismatched duos sometimes it's like watching a pair of man-boys fight over the same woman and it's pathetic. But no matter what these guys brought the laughs as they introduced the shorts and in the final one that was seen only online until the DVD release was a short starring the duo being blown to smithereens by who else but Diamanda. Oh well, at least they got a laugh or two out of me.

Number seven
7) The commentary to "Dragonbored"
This let me know the Walker Brothers knew what they were doing when they decided to do this instead of trying to top themselves but if they were to do something on the scale of say "To Boldly Flee" again, I hope they do it while they still can.  


Number six
6) Diamanda Hagen's end sketch
Granted Diamanda scares the living BeJebus out of me but knowing she got the drop on "The Webmaster" & "Thomas" before they could get to safety got a laugh out of me and she did reverse what she did, eventually.

Number five
5) The Cameos of Cinema Snob, Obscurus Lupa & Phelous in "Dragged In"
The ONLY good thing when it comes to "Dragged In". Seriously I didn't like "Dragged In"...AT ALL! But that's not to say that Sci-Fi Guy did a bad job behind the camera, far from it. It's in the story where it suffered and the few laughs I did get were from the Cameos Of

Number four
4) The Nostalgia Critic's review of "The Uncanny Valley"
Hoo boy when I saw this, I thought he was going to be fine with this. But he brought funny thoughts and opinions to his own work and the moment that I laughed at the most was in the "Dragonbored" portion of the review when LeBron played greatly by Fard Muhammad  got flipped like a coin and hired Jimbroth and then we get this reaction. (Show clip from Nostalgia Critic review of "The Uncanny Valley" when he mocks LeBron's decision)

Nostalgia Critic: Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to visit a man in prison who tried to assassinate me last week and make him Vice President of the company. (Puts on a crown and does a Daffy Duck like laugh and bounce up and down)

TLOTA (Voiceover): Classic!

Number three
3)  "The Reviewers"
Just...Just "The Reviewers" this showed a more earnest look at what it's like to be a online reviewer than it did in Howardcantor.com. That our lives don't revolve our online profession but it is a part of our lives no matter also we've got detractors and competition. I especially thought the character of "The Messiah" was such a stereotype of those burned out stoners who decided on trying to get a new professions. I can also relate to both Andy & Jeff being at the short end of the stick internet popularity. This was an amazing short and worth a watch.

Number two
2) "Dragonbored"
This short film set the standard of what was to come in this special and to be honest it needed a little more work but the story was solid and the twists were amazing. The acting was fairly good, especially with Rachel Tietz, Malcolm Ray, Fard Muhammad & Carl Kuster. Overall a strong start to this special.

And the Number one thing I liked about "The Uncanny Valley" is...
1) "The Dark Side Of The Internet"

Mat "Welshy" Williams made probably THE best documentary on the dangers of being online EVER! Because he is an Internet personality he knows what is going on. He's not as blind to the problem and if his documentary can teach one person about the dangers about the online world. It has done it's job. Making it THE best thing in "The Uncanny Valley" BAR NONE! (Cut to James Physically) And that's The ten things I liked about "The Uncanny Valley" does it mean it's on par with the likes of it's predecessors? Well....(Video clips of "The Uncanny Valley)

TLOTA (Voiceover): As a whole "The Uncanny Valley" doesn't stand on the shoulders of it's predecessors. "Dragged In" was I think the weak link in this thing but it didn't affect my overall tolerance for what came after. While "Dragonbored" set the bar, "The Reviewers" showed what it was like to BE a reviewer. "Internet Dating & Me" was funny but showed a "Beware what you ask for" message which was well hidden while "The Dark Side Of The Internet" is something EVERYONE & I MEAN EVERYONE MUST SEE before deciding to be an online personality. Give "The Uncanny Valley" a watch you'll find something you'll like or learn from. (Cut to James Physically)

I'm James Faraci The Last Of The Americans & (Sniffs) Hmm. Gas...Sweet smelling gas....Weird feeling gas....night....night....gas. (James falls out of his chair with a resounding thud and loud snoring.)
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment