Saturday, December 21, 2013

Why do we still watch Christmas Specials?


(Commercial Sting with American Gladiators first run's final season's ten seconds theme with James Standing alongside a Christmas tree to Holiday Text saying The Last of the Americans. While the sound of Jingling bells and the sight of snow falling are covering the sting and a candy cane with the word Editorial is placed on top of it all and scene cuts to James sitting down changing channels looking around to see endless Christmas Specials being played when he notices the people looking at him.)
Oh Hey, I'm James Faraci, The Last Of The Americans and the views I'm about to express are that of my own & some of yours. Since it is December, Duh, we're getting our fair share of Christmas Specials and the networks play the ever-living daylights out of them. (Deck The Halls played by Michael Schiciano) But for me that's no surprise, the real surprise is how many adults who don't have kids watch them. I have nieces so technically I shouldn't count myself but I do and so I ask as an adult Why do we still watch Christmas specials? Partly the answer should be that it's there to remind us of our youth when we could watch cartoons on Prime time around this time of year, right? Well with the advent of the internet and Amazon we can get our Christmas specials fix so easily. Another reason I think might be that we need to be reminded why we like Christmas with all the stores trying to herd us in like cattle for their bottom line we need to know that there's more to the holidays like with the story of "A Christmas Carol" Ebenezer Scrooge lost his way because he got caught up with what was his desires and forgot about who was more important him or the world around him and that's why the three spirits were there to A) remind him of who he once was, B) how he became a miserly old jerk and C) what will happen if he keeps acting the way he was before the spirits gave him a kick in the pants. But for those who might need a spiritual reminder of what the Holidays are about that's where Linus' quoting the Bible passage about the birth of Jesus in "A Charlie Brown Christmas Special" shines the best in my opinion. But are there morals in something like "Rudolph" or "Frosty" ? To be honest they're there but it's subtle like with "Rudolph" it's the one that you think should be shunned for being different will be the one to save the day and as for "Frosty" is to believe in something beyond what we know and believe and it's sort of like having to believe in both Santa & Jesus or something will be better. I know I'm stretching my thoughts on this but for all intent & purposes there is no right answer as to why adults with no children still watch Christmas specials, I don't have that answer. But if you're a parent and you watch them with your kids you get to see the same thing they are through their eyes or to be reminded of what your youth was and you can tell what it was like watching it when you were their age and you pass on your memories of your youth. I hope you enjoyed this editorial, I'll see everyone in 2014, now if you'll excuse me, I've got Christmas Specials & Classics to watch (James picks up remote and turns on "You're A Rotten Dirty Bastard" starring The Nostalgia Critic) Well, this one is NOT for the kids but it's a classic very well retold. I'm James Faraci, The Last Of The Americans and that's my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment